Michael D. Hockersmith, Shareholder
Born and raised in Texas, Mike moved to Colorado after graduating from law school in 1974. He started his legal career as a VISTA Volunteer attorney, and later, as a staff attorney at Pikes Peak Legal Services in Colorado Springs. It was in Colorado Springs that Mike met his future wife, Nancy Ziglar. In 1979, Mike and Nancy moved to Boulder where Mike assumed the directorship of the University of Colorado Student Union Legal Services Office. In 1981, Mike joined the faculty of the University of Colorado Law School, first as the director of the University of Colorado Institute of Law and Aging, and then as an Associate Clinical Professor of Law, in the CU Legal Aid and Defender Program and as an adjunct professor teaching evidence and trial advocacy. Following the birth of their first child, Mike and Nancy decided to relocate to Ouray, Colorado, which they did in June, 1983. In 1984, after a brief stint as a partner in a small two-person law firm, Mike joined forces with Rich Tisdel, forming what is now known as The Tisdel Law Firm, so named in honor of Rich after his untimely death in 1999. Since 1984, Mike has been a shareholder and partner in the firm. Since arriving in Ouray, Mike has served as a member of 7th Judicial District Bench/Bar Relations Committee. He also was the president of the 7th JD Bar Association from 1986 to 1987. Mike served the Ouray School District as a member and president of the District Accountability Committee. Mike has represented Ouray County as an assistant County Attorney under Rich Tisdel from 1985 – 1995, and as the Ouray County Attorney from 1995 – 2000. Mike has also provided representation to numerous community and arts organizations, often personally participating in many local and regional theatrical and musical productions. Mike regularly enjoys hiking, camping, cross-country skiing, playing the clarinet and Irish “tin” whistle, and hanging out with his wife, daughters and grand-daughter.
- Civil litigation
- Conservation Easements
- Land Use and Zoning
- Real Estate
- Easement Issues
- Boundary Disputes
- Commercial Law
- Business Formation
- Sale and purchase of business assets and probate
Admitted to practice in Texas, 1974. Admitted to practice in Colorado and U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1975; U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1976.
- 7th Judicial District Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- 1995, Awarded the Colorado Bar Association Professionalism Award, in recognition of dedication and commitment to the legal profession as an outstanding mentor in the legal field and in the community.
- 2010, Awarded the Marilyn T. Meadoff Award, given to an attorney who has made significant contributions to the representation or advancement of representation of Colorado citizens.
- Earned “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, highest rating possible.